Thursday, October 8, 2009

Minnesotans struggling, ready for action

My coworker and "office neighbor", Chris Fastner, just shared a great resource with me - the Northwest Area Foundation just released the findings of their 2009 National Poll: Struggling to Make Ends Meet. I ordered the report that summarizes Minnesota's results (it's free through their website) and here are the things I found most surprising:
  • 63% say they've cut back on spending,
  • 44% have lent money to family or friend,
  • 74% say they're worried that their local economy may get worse in the upcoming year,
  • 80% say they're willing to volunteer for an organization that helps people who are struggling,
  • 94% say local elected officials have big responsibility to attract businesses with good paying jobs.
If you'd like to learn more or get your own copy visit the NWAF website and you'll find a lot - highlights from the nation, other states, toolkits for action, the full database, etc.

It's an amazing piece of work that I think could really help decision makers, leaders and everyone in our communities understand how this tough economy is affecting people. Please share!!

No comments:

Post a Comment