Friday, September 4, 2009

Remembering Brothers

I refer to my brother Donn as “my kid brother.” Sure, he’s past fifty, his hair is even grayer than mine, and he’s considerably more wrinkled than just about every other kid I know. But he’s still my kid brother, and brothers are special.

Maybe that’s why Dave Wood and I became instant friends.


Dave came to our office one day a couple of years back to tell us about his older brother Mark, whose life and untimely death will always be part of the Initiative Foundation. You see, Mark had gotten to know some underprivileged kids through his work as a mentor, where he’d provided a positive role model . . . and more importantly, a friend . . . to kids who really needed one. Through his deep grief, Dave explained to us that when Mark knew he probably wouldn’t outrun the cancer that had invaded his body, he made sure his estate . . . everything he had to his name . . . would be used to support the mentoring program and disadvantaged kids he so cared for. Forever.

Once in a while you get to be a small part of something . . . or someone . . . very special. I think I’ll send this to my kid brother.


Brenden: "Mark gave me something to look forward to."

No comments:

Post a Comment