Friday, August 28, 2009

Beverly the Philanthropist

Hello, blogging world - Curt Hanson here! I’ve only been with the Initiative Foundation a little over five years. Before coming here, I thought the word “philanthropist” referred to Bill Gates or Paul Newman (you know, the kind of folks who get mentioned for sponsoring PBS programs.) Then I met Beverly.

Well actually . . . we haven’t met in person. In fact, I had quite a few conversations and e-mail exchanges with her attorney before she and I ever corresponded. Beverly lives in Washington (the state), but she’s from central Minnesota. She has fond memories of her home town and, as she is getting along in years, wants to do something good there. So Beverly has created a scholarship at her old high school that will help kids achieve something precious . . . something Beverly wanted very much in her own life, but could not fulfill . . . a college education.

Ever thought of yourself as a “philanthropist?” I don’t think Beverly Pantzke Johnston did. But I’ll bet kids attending Little Falls High School will come to know her that way. And I hope someday they’ll “pay Beverly forward!”

1 comment:

  1. Kim Embretson9/09/2009 11:21 AM

    Curt
    I know what you mean. Fergus Falls has Inga Johnson. She was a philanthropist who owned a neighborhood store. Love of community is all it takes. Bill Gates cares about the the wide world as his community. Inga cared about Fergus Falls.

    ReplyDelete